#SWFL1 North: Dundee United WFC v Dunfermline Atheltic LFC



Report: Dundee United WFC & Image: APP Photography

Dundee United went into Sundays match against Dunfermline Athletic 5 points off league leaders East Fife.

United started the match the way they would’ve wanted and scored after only 78 seconds. A through ball from Natalie Cromar split the Dunfermline defence and Laurie Denny coolly slotted beyond Hamilton in the Pars goal.

Cromar then missed an excellent chance to double the lead minutes later. A clever free kick from Jade McLaren found Cromar in space at the back post but the forward lashed her shot over the bar.

The first substitution of the match came in 13 minutes as Dunfermline ‘keeper Hamilton went down with a suspected groin injury after taking a goal kick.

Dunfermline had their first attempt at the United goal after 19 minutes. A mix-up in the United defence led to Steedman’s cross-come-shot narrowly going over the bar.

United doubled their lead on 24 minutes. Dunfermline’s replacement ‘keeper, Hamill, misjudged Phillipa McCallum’s in-swinging corner and Jade McLaren headed home.

Dunfermline pulled one back only a minute later. A foul from Keira Johnstone gave Dunfermline a free kick just inside United’s half. The free kick was lofted into the United box and then headed across goal towards Rigby-Wilson who placed her shot in the bottom corner, just out of reach of Scotland U19 ‘keeper Aaliyah-Jay Meach.

United restored their two goal lead minutes before the break. Chloe Robertson done well to create space to cross and her delivery was misjudged by Hamill and Cromar was on hand to thigh the ball home.


DUWFC made one change at half time: McCallum was replaced by Laura Parsley who took position up front with Denny dropping into centre back and Megan Burns slotting in at left back.

Unfortunately, Parsley’s introduction was short lived. Ten minutes into the second half, “Scoobs” twisted awkwardly and went down in pain. After a lengthy stoppage, Parsley was stretchered off the pitch, with Katie Caine taking her place.

United should have scored their fourth of the afternoon on 69 minutes. An excellent ball from a deep position by McLaren found Stacey McFadyen. Her first touch ensured she was through on goal and her placed effort went narrowly wide of the far corner.

The fourth, and final, goal of the afternoon came only two minutes later. A long, diagonal pass from Denny caught out the Dunfermline defence’s high line and found Katie Caine. With Hamill rushing out of the Dunfermline goal, the United forward got a fortunate break of the ball and rounded the ‘keeper before scoring into the empty net.

United should have scored a fifth goal in the 75th minute when a corner from Johnstone found McLaren unmarked 6 yards out, but she headed the ball into the ground and Hamill gathered easily.

The final United substitution was made in the 78th minute as Eva Snaith replaced Aaliyah-Jay Meach in goal.

The first and only yellow card of the match came in the dying stages. McLaren’s desire and determination worked the ball to Caine who was driving through on goal. A mistimed slide tackle from Colyer brought Caine down and the Pars defender was booked. From the resulting free kick, Natalie Cromars attempt was saved by Hamill.