#SWPLCup Round 1: Hutchison Vale v Motherwell FC


‘Well progress in the SWPL Cup’

Motherwell produced a stunning goal scoring display as they cruised into the last eight of the SWPL Cup with a 13-0 victory over Hutchison Vale.

Report / Image: Motherwell FC

Mhari Fyfe hit four goals and Lori Gardner grabbed a hat-trick, along with goals from Caitlin Russell, Katie Rice and Chelsea McEachran.

The ‘Well got off to the best possible start, attacking from the off and Rice fired high into the net to open the scoring in the opening minute.

After 12 minutes they would double their lead, Rice was felled inside the box and Fyfe converted the resulting penalty.

Five minutes later Gardner got in on the scoring act and Rice would add her second of the game just before the half hour mark.

‘Well were flying and the goals kept coming, Fyfe netting twice more from the spot before the break.

The 6-0 score at half time didn’t flatter the women of steel and they showed no signs of taking their foot off the gas as the second half got underway.

Russell poked home from close range into the bottom corner in the 48th minute to make it seven and Gardner added Motherwell’s eighth and her second of the game just after the hour mark.

Fyfe tapped home from close range to make it 9-0 and the scoreline moved into double figures, when second half substitute McEachran drove right at the heart of the defence, before picking her spot in the bottom left corner to finish off a great individual effort.

The goals kept coming and Russell stroked home after Fyfe was denied by a good stop by Claire Whitaker in the home goal.

McEarchran got her second with 15 minutes. A lovely ball over the top by Kirsten Rolph looked to have been dealt with by the Hutchie Vale defence, but the midfielder battled back and used her strength to force the opportunity for the shot. Despite being off balance, she managed to find the goal.

With five minutes to play Gardner bagged her hat-trick. Intercepting the loose ball at the back, she managed to beat the keeper before finishing into an empty net to extend the lead to 13.

The score would remain unchanged as a dominant ‘Well side blew away the Edinburgh side with an emphatic win to progress to the quarter-finals of the cup.