#SWPL1: Hibs 3 – 1 Rangers


Rangers news 15th march pic maryanne orr

Rangers Ladies suffered a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Hibernian in the league opener at Albyn Park on Sunday.

It was Hibs who pressed from the start, the home side winning a free kick just outside the penalty area with only two minutes on the clock. However, unable to find composure so early in the game, Lisa Robertson’s attempt drifted out for a goal kick and Rangers were let off the hook.

Moments later, Rangers registered their first chance when Jill Paterson floated a free kick into the box and Lisa Swanson got on the end of it but she was crowded out by the Hibs defence and was unable to get her shot away.

A spell of strong Hibernian pressure followed and some nervy moments for Rangers as a miss-kick clearance from Rangers almost caused some problems but ‘keeper Claire Johnstone was alert to it.

After the scare, Rangers tried to push up and find the target but ever attempt was thwarted by the strong Hibs defence.

The deadlock was broken with just under twenty minutes played. Abigail Harrison, who had been the most threatening of the Hibs players saw the ball home to make it 1-0.

Despite losing the goal, Rangers didn’t lose composure and they were straight up the other end of the park however, they were unable to find anyone in the box from a number of crosses.

With ten minutes left in the first half Hibs doubled their lead.

Claire Johnstone made a spectacular save however, the resulting corner was drifted in and Siobhan Hunter rose highest to score.

The third goal came on the stroke of half time from Caroline Heron and Rangers entered the interval with a mountain to climb in the second half.

Early in the second half things looked to get worse for Rangers when Lucy Graham found herself one-on-one with Johnstone but the Gers keeper stood strong and saved the initial shot as well as the follow up by attempt by Heron.

The turning point for Rangers came after 67 when they made a triple substitution which saw Swanson, Adams and McLaughlin replaced by Sarah Robertson, Shelley Faughan and Hayley Sinclair.

The changes brought new life to the team and it worked as Chantelle Brown blasted the ball passed Jenna Fife to pull a goal back.

However, the revival was too late and the game ended Hibernian 3 – 1 Rangers.


Reported by Maryanne Orr
Picture: Rangers FC