#SWPL1: City draw with Celtic…


Glasgow City and Celtic locked horns for the first time this season with the points shared in an entertaining 1-1 draw at K Park.

Both sides had attempts on goal from free kicks in the opening minutes, but chances were few and far between before Celtic’s Natalie Ross ghosted into the City box unmarked to prod home the opening goal.

Megan Cunningham in nets for Celtic did well to deny a powerfully hit shot by City’s Lauren Silver and to stop a drive from Savannah Jordan as City looked to hit back. For the home side, Ruesha Littljohn came close to extending her side’s lead as she sent a half volley from distance on goal, which City’s Lee Alexander was relieved to see land on the roof of her net.

It was a much improved Glasgow City in the second half and Cunningham produced the save of the match to expertly deny a shot from the outside of the right boot from Jordan after she had turned the Celtic defence at the edge of the box.

As the half progressed, City continued to mount more and more pressure on the Celtic rear guard and they got their reward on 70 minutes when a Leanne Ross corner kick was headed into the Celtic net by their own player.

The goal certainly gave City a lift and for the last 20 minutes the away side pushed hard for the winner. Keeva Keenan came within inches of finding the net as her header scraped past the post and Megan Foley saw her effort come back off the cross bar on the 91st minute.  Successive corners right on the final whistle almost gave City the three points, but a goal line clearance ensured it was all even at full time.

Commenting, City Head Coach, Scott Booth said, “It was a very frustrating afternoon for us. Especially in the first 45 minutes. We improved the longer the game went on, but we know we can play much better.”

City are back in action next Sunday at home at the Excelsior Stadium to Stirling University in the quarter finals of the SWPL Cup. The match kicks off at 1pm.


Reported by Glasgow City FC

Picture: Tommy Hughes