#SWPL1: City maintain 100% record…


Glasgow City defeated Celtic 3-2 in a pulsating 90 minutes in the sun at K Park to maintain their 100% record in all competitions this season so far.

The first real chance of the match came on 12 minutes when Kerry Montgomery brought down Leanne Ross at the edge of the box and City’s Hayley Lauder fired the resultant set piece off the cross bar.

Nicola Docherty was next to try her luck for City, but her drive from distance was well held by Megan Cunningham in the Celtic nets.Lauren McMurchie v Celtic

Celtic’s Christie Murray caused concern for the visitors on 20 minutes when her shot fizzed across the 6 yard box, but less than 60 seconds later, City took the lead with a fine goal from Fiona Brown.

City Captain Leanne Ross played Brown in down the line and the forward skipped past her marker before driving into the box and firing low into the bottom corner from a difficult angle. The goal seemed to calm the City players and they went on to dominate most of the play and chances for the remainder of the half after a fiery start from the home side.

A good save by Cunningham denied Brogan Hay on 26 minutes and Ruesha Littlejohn headed a Ross cross wide at the back post ten minutes later as City pushed for a second.

Cunningham was in action again soon after saving again from Docherty before City got goal number after some excellent play by Erin Cuthbert. Picking the ball up the young midfielder drove at the Celtic defence, beat her player and fired a powerful shot which Cunningham saved well, only for Littlejohn to follow up and fire into the back of the net to make it 2-0 to City.

Hay danced her way past the Celtic rear guard to set up Brown, but the forward was unable to capitalise under pressure from the Celtic defence.

Celtic started strongly in the second period and reduced the deficit on 57 minutes when Chloe Craig converted from the penalty spot.

Cunningham produced the save of the match on the hour mark when she turned a terrific Brown shot from the edge of the box over the bar. Jo Love then went close when she headed a Ross cross just wide.

The Scotland and City midfielder was not to be denied and on 65 minutes she placed a Brown cut back into the bottom corner after Brown had beaten the full back all ends up.

Christie Murray bounced on City mistake at the back but Gemma Fay in the City nets saved well one on one with her Scotland team mate to keep her side’s two goal advantage.

Celtic were awarded a free kick on 76 minutes and they once again showed their set piece ability as Kelly Clark converted into the back of the net to get her side back in the game. However, in the end it proved not enough and City finished the game with all three points and 100% record intact for all competitions this season.

Reported by Glasgow City FC

Picture: Andy Buist