Scottish Cup Semi Finals: Hibernian 2, Celtic 0


Hibernian set up a third major showdown with Glasgow City this season, as they defeated Celtic 2-0 in a dominant performance. The Edinburgh side took the lead early in the first half through Chloe Arthur’s 20-yard screamer.

Hibs kept on dominating but were not taking their chances and mid-way through the second half, they were nearly punished. Celtic’s captain Chloe Craig’s header looped over the Hibs’ keeper, and Joelle Murray acrobatically cleared the ball off the line.

But Hibernian finally got their second goal as Abigail Harrison scored from just outside the box to secure their place in next month’s Final.

Hibernian came out strongly at the kick-off, and could have taken the lead when Emma Brownlie’s cross picked out Lia Tweedie, but her side-footed volley was caught by Celtic keeper Gemma Fay. Abigail Harrison was threatening to cause the Celtic troubles, but couldn’t find the final touch to score.

But it was not Harrison who would break the deadlock. Celtic had failed to fully clear a Hibs’ attack, and from 20 yards, Chloe Arthur’s dipping effort landed in the top-left corner, giving Fay no chance.

Hibs kept up the pressure but weren’t creating clear-cut chances, with Tweedie having her shot blocked and Lizzie Arnot shooting over. Lisa Robertson also saw her long-range effort go just over.

Celtic then nearly created a golden chance when Cara McBrearty’s free-kick was headed back across goal by Beatriz Regalado, but Kelly Clark failed to get the crucial touch to divert goalwards. And then, late on in the first half, Craig headed a corner just wide.

Hibs kept up the pressure in the second half but were still finding it hard to create the clear cut chances. Siobhan Hunter tried her luck from 40 yards, but Fay caught the ball.

Robertson’s free-kick picked up Brownlie, but she headed wide.

However, when the clear-cut chance presented itself, they failed to take advantage.

Brownlie’s shot hit Clark, and this set the ball up kindly at the far post, but Arnot failed to get the required power to trouble Fay.

And this was nearly punished minutes later. McBrearty’s free-kick picked out Craig at the far post, her header looped over the Hibs keeper Jenna Fife, but Joelle Murray was there to acrobatically clear the ball off the line.

It was Celtic’s turn to have luck on their side. Harrison’s cross deflected off Clark towards goal, but the ball ricocheted off Danielle Connoly and clear.

But then Hibs finally took advantage of their pressure. Smith broke into the box and saw her shot smash off the far post.

But they recycled the ball back towards Harrison who from 20 yards fired the ball into the bottom-right corner.

Late on Hibernian had more chances to extend their lead even further. Chelsea Cornet played Harrison into the box and saw her saw superbly saved by Fay low down at the near post.

Then Smith once again hit the woodwork, this time her 35-yard effort smashed off the crossbar. And then Cornet saw her shot blocked before Heather Richards had her effort saved by Fay.


Hibernian: Jenna Fife, Emma Brownlie, Joelle Murray, Siobhan Hunter, Kirsty Smith, Lisa Robertson, Chloe Arthur, Heather Richards, Abigail Harrison, Lizzie Arnot, Lia Tweedie (Chelsea Cornet 37).

Goals: Chloe Arthur 19, Abigail Harrison 75

Celtic: Gemma Fay, Danielle Connolly, Jade Lindsay, Chloe Craig, Beatriz Regalado (Lauren Steel 34), Ruesha Littlejohn, Kelly Clark, Kirstin McGuire, Colette Cavanagh (Megan Heafey 76), Cara McBrearty, Joanne Paton.

Image courtesy of Lorraine Hill