#SBSSWPL1: Rangers FC v Forfar Farmington FC


A late free-kick from Emma Brownlie secured three points for Rangers as they beat Forfar Farmington 2-1 at the Hummel Training Centre this afternoon.

Report: Louise Shaw / Image: Rangers FC

Rosie Mcquillan had the Gers ahead inside five minutes before Maria McSherry got one back for the visitors but with 10 minutes remaining Brownlie curled a free-kick from the edge of the box beyond Fiona McNicoll in the Forfar goal.

It was a bright start for Rangers as Chantelle Brown got on the end of a cross from Daina Bourma in the first minute but her shot was saved by McNicoll.

McNicoll was called into action again on the third minute as Bourma’s cross was cleared by a Forfar defender but only as far as Clare Gemmell but McNicoll done well to touch the shot wide for a corner.

The early pressure paid off as Rangers opened the scoring after just five minutes. Bourma was again causing problems down the left as she fired another dangerous cross into the box which was turned home by Rosie Mcquillan.

The visitors had a chance from a set piece on the edge of the box but Donna Paterson’s strike was just wide of the target.

On the 28th minute as Shelley Campbell played the ball through to Rosie Mcquillan but her shot was blocked by the goalkeeper before another shot was fired towards goal which McNicoll tipped over to deny Gregory Vignal’s side a second of the game.

15-year-old Mcquillan came close again on the 36th minute as she got on the end of a cross from Clare Gemmell but she couldn’t get a strong enough touch on the ball and it was saved comfortably by the Forfar goalkeeper.

Gregory Vignal was forced into a change just before the break as goalscorer Rosie Mcquillan took a knock and was replaced by Jade Gallon.

It was a fairly even start to the second 45 with neither side having many clear-cut chances. In a bid to find that second goal, Carla Boyce and Freya Macdonald replaced Holly Napier and Chantelle Brown.

There was almost an instant chance for Boyce as Clare Gemmell found her run but the visiting keeper was quickly off her line to deny the Rangers forward an opportunity.

Boyce done well shortly after to find Jade Gallon in space in the box but the forward’s effort was over the bar.

Rangers came close to adding a second as Lisa Martinez headed Clare Gemmell’s corner towards goal but her effort bounced back off the post before Jade Gallon’s follow-up was saved by McNicoll.

Forfar were level as they broke from a Rangers corner as Maria McSherry went through one-on-one with Jade Baillie before slotting low into the back of the net.

Rangers were back in front with just 10 minutes to go as Emma Brownlie curled a free-kick from the edge of the box past McNicoll to give the Gers the lead.

Gregory Vignal’s side then came close to adding a third as Carla Boyce’s strike was tipped over the bar by the goalkeeper.

Rangers were awarded a penalty on the 89th minute as Boyce was taken down in the box. Clare Gemmell stepped up to take the spot-kick but the keeper went the right way and denied the Rangers captain a goal.

The penalty was the final action of the game as the referee blew for full-time to see Rangers win for their second league game in a row.

Rangers: Baillie, Dalgliesh, Martinez, L. Gallon, Gemmell, Campbell (O’Hara, 79), Napier (Macdonald, 57), Brownlie, Bourma, Brown (Boyce, 57), Mcquillan (J. Gallon, 42). Subs not used: Watson.