#SBSSWPL1: Forfar Farmington v Motherwell FC


Motherwell were defeated 3-2 against Forfar Farmington on Sunday in controversial circumstances.

Report / Image: Motherwell FC

Kerry Montgomery’s last minute goal was chopped off to deny Motherwell a point, after seemingly completing a late comeback.

However, the ball was judged to have hit the net after the referee’s final whistle.

Motherwell started the game well, coming out the traps by creating some early attacking chances.

Sarah Crilly was the architect of the best of the early chances, the winger making the most of the space out wide by making a bursting run down the left wing, before playing the ball straight into the path of Katie Rice who was arriving at the back post, the ball however was over hit and it came to nothing.

As the game progressed Forfar grew into the and created more chances in the Motherwell half.

They nearly went ahead through Robyn Smith’s long range volley, the ball was only partially cleared from the corner before falling to the striker who was situated at the edge of the box, the striker’s effort however slashed just wide of the post.

The hosts broke the deadlock with 10 minutes played. Hannah Stewart was on hand to blast a volley past Morgan Hunter in the ‘Well goal. The goal came from some attacking pressure before the inviting cross was finished well by the midfielder, who had found space in the box.

Spurred on by the early goal, the game was predominantly played in the Motherwell half.

Minutes after the first goal, Donna Paterson was denied by a superb flying save from Hunter, tipping the headed effort past the post to prevent the hosts from extending their lead.

With half an hour on the clock, Forfar extended their lead. Stewart grabbed her second of the match, capitalising on a loose ball.

The bounce of the ball beat Maxine Welsh as she tried to clear it forward, Stewart was able to latch onto the loose ball before advancing forward. The midfielder then cut inside from the left before pulling the trigger on her right foot from outside the box, the ball sailed over Hunter into the net as the hosts began to pull away.

Farmington were able to see the half out with a two-goal advantage,despite the best efforts of the Motherwell attack, who continued to press and play the ball in the final third. Frustratingly they were restricted to long range shots with Kerry Montgomery’s effort being the closest to finding the net.

Motherwell started the second half brightly, determined to get an early goal to get themselves back in the game. Montgomery nearly got the visitors off to the perfect start as she came close with a long-ranged effort.

The shot looked destined for goal, but Fiona McNicoll in the Forfar goal done brilliantly to tip it over the bar.

Chelsea McEachren came close shortly after as the bright spell continued with the ‘Well looking the more dangerous of the two sides. The attacker picked up the ball down the left wing, wriggling past two defenders and working her way into a position to shoot. The shot was inches away from nestling into the top corner.

Eventually, the attacking pressure paid off on the 54th minute as Motherwell managed to grab a goal back and blow the game wide open again. Rice was the scorer as her long-ranged driven strike bounced off the post and over the line to reignite the contest.

Motherwell’s joy however was short lived. Four minutes later the hosts hit back, a superb free kick delivery from Nicola Davidson reached the head of Paterson, who broke free from her marker and produced a glancing header to direct it past Hunter to extend the deficit once more.

Despite being behind, the women of steel never let their heads drop as the continued to build from the back and to work the ball into dangerous areas, but they couldn’t find a way through the disciplined Forfar side.

With just over ten minutes to go, Motherwell came agonisingly close to reducing the gap once more. Montgomery pressed up the pitch well and nicked the ball back before making a run for the byline.

Drawing the keeper out wide with her, she picked out Mhairi Fyfe in the box with a low driven pass. All Fyfe had to do was get a touch on it and it was a goal but a superb covering block from Paterson denied the substitute a chance to get the ‘Well back into the game.

The chance seemed to have breathed new life into the ‘Well side as they continued to advance forward, looking to create something but once more the resilient Forfar were up to the task of batting back any Motherwell advance.

Substitute Fyfe gave Donald Jennow’s side some late hope as she made it 3-2 in additional time with a well worked goal. Latching onto the through ball, the striker took on and dribbled past the defence before slotting her shot into the opposite corner of the net past the diving McNicoll in goal.

There was drama at the final whistle as Montgomery fired a shot into the roof of the net, but the goal was chopped off as the ball was judged to have hit the net after the referee had blown the final whistle, denying Motherwell a late point.

Next up for Motherwell is SWPL Cup action as they face Hutchinson Vale next Sunday in the capital.