#SBSSWPL 1: Motherwell FC v Hibernian LFC


Hibernian hit four as they inflicted a second defeat of the season for Motherwell at Ravenscraig on Sunday.

Report / Image: Motherwell FC

A second half showing from Hibs ensured that they would be travelling back to Edinburgh with the three points.

It had been an even start to the encounter. Motherwell found success down the left wing, with Sarah Crilly surging down the flank trying to create an early chance, but the cross was headed away by the Hibs defence.

Lauren Davidson had an early chance for Hibs. The striker picked the ball up down the right wing before trying to cut inside onto her left foot. Trying to place it past the keeper, Morgan Hunter got down well to make the save.

As the game progressed, Hibs were pressing forward more, linking up in the middle and trying to ship the ball out to Jamie-Lee Napier on the left wing. The attacking possession however never led to any clear-cut chances and the ‘Well were able to deal with the challenge.

There was a scare for Motherwell on the stroke of 30 minutes. The hosts had won a free kick in a promising position, but the strike deflected off the wall and Hibs began to counter in numbers.

Davidson latched onto the long ball in behind of the defence, but Hunter met her halfway as she rushed off her line to try and stop the attack. The break of the ball fell to Lia Tweedie, whose half volley sailed over the bar.

Hibs continued to press up the pitch as the half came to a close. Joelle Murray came agonisingly close with a header from a set piece, whivh had Hunter beaten but was cleared off the line to deny the midfielder.

Just as Motherwell looked likely to go into the break on level terms. Hibs went ahead on the stroke of half time.

Rachel Small bundled the ball over the line amongst a barrage of bodies from a Napier cross. The initial shot came off the bar but the midfielder was able to nod the ball into the corner to put Hibs ahead with 44 minutes played.

Motherwell came out the traps determined to bounce back from the late Hibs goal. Chelsea McEachran looked to be in on goal before being bundled to the ground, the subsequent free kick was hit by Montgomery, but it sailed harmlessly over the bar.

However, it didn’t take long for Hibs to start going. Napier was inches from heading home a cross, the Motherwell defence was split by the low through ball and Napier was left unmarked at the back post for the cross, the ball however the ball had just too much on it.

Napier continued to cause problems, this time hitting the bar with 55 minutes played. The winger brushed past Natasha Roberts before trying to fire the ball goalward, the shot evaded Hunter but crashed off the post and eventually clear.

McEachran looked to have snuck in behind the defence and was in on goal to try and put Motherwell level. She brought down the pass and looked set to pull the trigger, but the shot was blocked well however to deny the women of steel a leveller.

Hibs made it two shortly after. Davidson produced a composed finish into the bottom left corner, after a lay off by Napier to double their lead on the 65th minute.

The table toppers got a third in quickly soon after, when Small’s corner was floated into the back post and Hunter could do nothing but help it in the net with 19 minutes left on the clock.

The final goal of the game – and the fourth for Hibs – came from Kirsten Reilly’s free kick, which went through the gloves of Hunter and into the net.

A dominating second half showing ensuring that the visitors would be heading back to Edinburgh with three points and still on top of SWPL1.

Motherwell: Hunter, Knox (Russell), Welsh (Roberts), Rolph, Rafferty, Rice, Crilly, Montgomery, Gardner, McEachran, Adams.

Subs not used: Fyfe, Hutchison, McManus.