15s SE League Cup QF: Musselburgh Windsor v Hibs Development


League Cup Quarter Final

Report & Pictures: Musselburgh Windsor Girls


The two teams lined up on a scorching morning at Pinkie ready for what was to turn out to be a cracker.

Hibs took kick off and were soon pushing forward with some great passing and movement stretching the Windsor defence across the park.

The first chance fell to Hibs as the striker cut in from the left and unleashed a shot that was well taken by the Windsor keeper.

The game settled down as we approached the midway point in the first half as both teams adjusted to the heat, it was becoming a midfield battle as the 20-minute mark arrived then a piece of brilliance from the Hibs midfielder created space to set the striker out wide, she cut in and put a great ball across the box that was slotted home to make it 1 v 0 Hibs.

This seemed to wake up the Windsor girls who from the kick off created a chance for themselves, but it was a weak shot that the keeper dealt with comfortably. Windsor continued to press for the equalizer which left them a little exposed in the midfield which Hibs tried to take advantage of trying to hit Windsor on the break.

With just under 15 minutes to the break Windsor created a chance but the keeper was equal to it putting it round the post for a corner, from the resulting corner the ball was lofted to the far post where the incoming right midfielder was coming in and she had a clear shot at goal which she took to hit the ball into the empty net 1 v 1.

With the action going back and forward both teams were looking forward to the half time whistle. They had played 2 minutes of injury time when a lapse in concentration at the back for Windsor resulted in Hibs scrambling the ball over the line when there did not look like any danger giving Hibs a 2 v 1 advantage as the ref blew half time whistle

Half Time Musselburgh Windsor 1 v 2 Hibs Development

All the girls took a well earned rest at half time and rehydrated for the second half which was to be much like the first with both teams battling to gain the upper hand chances were in short supply with both defences on top and a real midfield battle on their hands.

Windsor created the first real chance of any significance when their striker got away from her defender but blazed her shot over the bar.

Normal service resumed with both defences unwilling to give anything away with Hibs trying to hold onto what they had and secure their place in the Semi-final. With 15 minutes left on the clock Windsor decided to go for broke and try and get the equalizer and went to 3 at the back and pushed their central defender into a 5 in midfield within minutes of doing that she played a long ball over to the left and the left midfielder went past her marker and smashed the ball into the bottom right hand corner 2 v 2 and it was game on again for both teams.

You could sense that both teams were getting nervy as the final whistle approached with neither team wanting to go bombing forward or make a mistake with seconds remaining Hibs were to create one last chance but it was well defended and as the ball got cleared by the Windsor defence the ref blew for full time

Full Time Musselburgh Windsor 2 v 2 Hibs Development

The two teams had served up a great game but it was not over as we moved into extra time would we get a winner or would it go to Penalties.

The first half of extra time came and went with both teams fighting hard but no real chances created 2 v 2 half time in extra time.

Hibs got the second half under way and the battle recommenced midfields were hard at work for both teams as the clock ticked away to penalties the crowd and the coaches were on the edge of their seats as we entered the final 4 minutes when out of nothing the Hibs midfielder smashed in a shot from outside the box which flew past the Windsor Keeper and looked bound for the top corner but seemed to swerve away at the last minute with the keeper beaten, as the keeper turned to watch the flight of the ball and the crowd, coaches and players held their breath it rebounded off the post and into the Windsor keepers grateful arms …that was the last chance of the match

Full Time Musselburgh Windsor 2 v 2 Hibs Development AET

Penalties, never a great way to end a match especially when neither team really deserved to lose but as a cup game it needed to be settled.

First up were Hibs and their player stepped up as both sets of players gathered in the centre circle. she hit her shot that had the Windsor Keeper beaten but unfortunately crashed off the bar. Next up was the Windsor Captain who stepped up can coolly slotted her penalty to the right bottom corner 1 v 0 Hibs then had the chance to level up but the Windsor Keeper flew to her left to tip a well struck penalty round the post .

Windsor up next and she slotted the ball past the Hibs keeper to make it 2 v 0 Hibs needed the next penalty to go in to stay in the match and the Hibs player stepped and slotted the ball past the keeper sending her the wrong way 2-1 up stepped Windsor for their third penalty which they converted high into the left had side of the keepers net 3 v 1 Windsor Hibs needed a cool finish to keep the tie alive.

Up stepped a confident player, she struck the ball sweetly to the left of the keeper but some how the Windsor keeper got a strong hand to the ball to divert it way from the goal, some of the girls I don’t think realised that it was all over until the ref blew his whistle and all the Windsor Girls rushed to congratulate their keeper.

Full Time Musselburgh Windsor 2 v 2 Hibs Development  AET

Musselburgh Windsor 3 v 1 on Penalties

Well done to both teams who served up a fantastic advert for the Girls game and although I am sure Hibs will be disappointed to have not got through to the Semi final they were gracious in defeat and showed true class shaking hands and hugs were exchanged between both sets of players and posed for a great photo which epitomises all that is good in the girls grass roots game.

A magnificent game played in a great spirit.