Women’s Scottish Cup – QF Round up


Click here to view the semi-final draw

By Tim Oliver

Hibernian 3-1 Celtic

The SWPL Cup winners and 2015 Scottish Women’s Cup Runners-Up, Hibernian, recovered from a terrible first half to defeat Celtic.

Celtic took the lead in the seventh minute through Kelly Clark’s deflected free-kick and looked comfortable for the whole half. Hibernian struggled to break down their opponents disciplined defence and could have doubled their lead through chances for Kirsty Howat, Abbi Grant, and Georgie Rafferty, but the score remained 1-0 at half-time.

Hibernian came out for the second half as a changed team and in the 52nd minute, they equalised through Abi Harrison’s composed finish. They took the lead through Harrison’s close-range finish before she completed her hat-trick with a clever finish in the 79th minute.

Hibernian could have added more goals with Kirsty Smith having a strike ruled offside and Rachel McLauchlan having several chances to score.

Click here to view TV highlights (courtesy of Hibernian TV)

Stirling University 0-4 Glasgow City

The Scottish Women’s Cup holders Glasgow City overcame a difficult test from Stirling University to reach the semi-finals.

Stirling University produced a magnificent first half display and at half-time, the score was still goalless with keeper Chloe Logan producing superb saves when City breached her defence.

Nine minutes into the second half, City took the lead when Leanne Ross picked out Hayley Lauder who scored with a tap-in.

Two minutes later, they doubled their advantage through Hayley Rosen and it would only take another two minutes for her to score her second and City’s third.

In the 69th minute, soon after coming on, Sarah Crilly scored a tap-in to make sure City progressed to yet another semi-final.

Jeanfield Swifts 3-5 Glasgow Girls

In an all-SWPL 2 clash, both sides produced an absolute classic as Glasgow Girls beat Jeanfield Swifts 5-3.

Glasgow Girls took the lead in the 17th minute through Nicola Hardie, but just after the half-hour mark, Jeanfield equalised through Donna Shaw’s stunning free-kick. Just before half-time, it was Jeanfield Swifts who took the lead through Danni McGinley’s penalty.

But Glasgow Girls scored twice in three minutes with Georgie McTear and Lauren Evans finding the back of the net to retake the lead.

Once again, Jeanfield equalised with McGinley once again finding the back of the net.

But in the 85th minute, Glasgow Girls once again took the lead through Evans and just before full time, Evans completed her hat-trick to make sure of their progress to the Semi-Finals.

Click here for photo gallery (courtesy of Stuart Cowper)