#SWPL1: Rangers v Aberdeen…

Rangers put four goals past Aberdeen as they got back to winning ways in the league. Lisa Swanson opened the scoring from the penalty spot before Hayley Sinclair and Hannah Robertson added to the lead. Aberdeen got a goal back before half-time but Sinclair got her second late on to secure the three points for the Blue Belles.

It took until the 94th minute the last time the two sides met for Claire Adams to score a wonder goal and earn the win for Rangers. After a lively start it looked very unlikely that a similar wait would be necessary this time around for the opening goal.

Sinclair tried her look with a couple of efforts from distance as Rangers started the match on the front foot. Up the other end, the visitors came perilously close to opening the scoring as they saw a shot crack off the post.

It was left to Swanson to score the games first goal from the penalty mark. Clare Gemmell was quick and alert to poke the ball past the on rushing Aberdeen ‘keeper. Gemmell was brought down to the deck and the referee had no choice but to award a penalty. Swanson kept her composure and scored from the spot.

Rangers grew in confidence from the goal and Robertson came close to adding the second. Robertson shot from the edge of the box squirmed through the Aberdeen ‘keeper’s leg’s but was cleared before it could cross the line.

The home side didn’t have to wait long to double their lead. A midfield tussle saw the ball squeeze through to Swanson who was running in on goal. With the defender neck and neck with Swanson, she cleverly laid it off for the oncoming Sinclair who finished into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

A minute later, Rangers had their third. Sinclair turning provider this time as she played in Robertson. Clear through on goal, Robertson slipped the ball past the onrushing ‘keeper to put her team comfortably in control.

Rangers spent the rest of the half well on top but disaster struck as Robertson went down with an injury and after a lengthy period of treatment had to be replaced. Terri Donnelly came on for the injured Robertson and Rangers were then forced into another sub as Sarah Robertson came on for the injured Rachel Ross.

Due to the lengthy stoppage in play, there was plenty of added-on time at the end of the half and Aberdeen took advantage. in the seventh minute of added on time, Aberdeen got a goal back as the referee then blew for time almost immediately afterwards.

Aberdeen were clearly spurred on by their late first half goal and came out in the second half looking for blood. Rangers weren’t without their chances however. A powerful run by Jenna Clark presented Robertson with a chance but her effort hit the post.

The visitors kept up the pressure but Donnelly and Chelsie Watson were putting in a stellar shift leading the defensive line. For all the pressure, Jordyn Elliot was having a surprisingly quiet game in the Rangers goal.

Aberdeen were presented with a massive chance to get a goal back. After an initial shot hit the post and rebounded to the middle of the box and fell to the feet of an Aberdeen striker. With Elliot on the deck and beaten, the ball was mercifully fired over the bar.

With 90 minutes come and gone it looked as if Aberdeen had missed their chance to peg Rangers back. A second goal from Sinclair made it absolutely certain. Sinclair weaved her way through the Aberdeen defence before finding herself alone with the ‘keeper and she sent a powerful shot into the back of the net. A superb goal that rounded off a great team performance.

Rangers came close to adding a fifth as Gemmell had a header cleared off the line from an Amy Muir corner.

Amy McDonald and the team gladly settled for the four goals however in a match where the players adjusted fantastically to the changes that were forced upon them.

The team will now travel to the Excelsior Stadium to face off against Glasgow City next Sunday.

Report & Picture: David Marshall Rangers FC