#SBSSWPL2: Motherwell Women make SWPL history with win


Motherwell smashed the SWPL2 record points tally with a battling 3-2 victory over Glasgow Girls at Budhill Park.

Report/Image: Motherwell FC

The women of steel move on to 53 points after their 17th victory of the season, surpassing Forfar Farmington’s tally of 52 set in 2017 with one game remaining.

Donald Jennow made four changes to the starting team that defeated Spartans to earn a place in the SSE Scottish Women’s Cup final.

Katey Turner made her first start for the team, while Caitlin Russell, Natasha Roberts and Kaitlyn Canavan were all handed starting roles.

Turner marked her league debut in perfect fashion, when her low cross evaded everyone inside the area and found the bottom corner to give ‘Well the lead after just four minutes.

Despite taking an early lead, Motherwell were struggling to take a grip on the game and the hosts deservedly got back on terms with eight minutes of the first half remaining.

After a nice passing move, Lauren Evans fired low beyond Kendall Welsh to level the scores.

Things would get even better for the hosts just four minutes later, when Shannon Ashley Mulligan latched on to a through ball and lashed the ball high into the net.

It was the first time Motherwell had trailed a match at the interval in any competition this season, presenting Jennow and his coaching staff with a difficult half time team talk to stir their struggling side.

Whatever was said during the break clearly had an effect, as within 60 seconds of the restart, Motherwell were level.

Having scored in the first half, Turner this time turned provider and she picked out Sammy Hare who coolly finished.

Hayley Cunningham and Lauryn Reside had efforts blocked as the visitors looked to get ahead for the second time in the match. At the other end, Evans’ shot failed to trouble Welsh.

It looked like the game was heading for a draw before Motherwell were presented with the perfect opportunity to claim the win with five minutes remaining.

Turner’s run was brought to an end by a careless foul by Katie Hay and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Cunningham stepped up to take the resulting kick and despite the keeper getting a hand to it, she couldn’t keep the ball from nestling in the back of the net.

Evans came close with a free kick as Glasgow Girls looked for a response, but the Motherwell defence held firm to claim all three points on a day where the result was undoubtably better than the performance.

Motherwell finish their SWPL2 campaign next Sunday when they host St Johnstone, before taking on Hibernian in the Scottish Cup final one week later.