#SBSSWPL: Stirling University v Rangers Ladies…


Lauren Davidson rescued a point for Rangers yesterday with a 93rd minute goal at Stirling University. The home side took the lead with a goal in the 90th minute, but Rangers kept going and earned a deserved point.

The first half was a tight affair with clear cut chances being few and far between. Rangers’ best chances came from distance – Claire Adams having an effort that swerved in the air but was well held by Chloe Logan in the Stirling goal.

Logan was tested again when Davidson tried curl a free kick inside the post, but the ‘keeper was equal to it. Hayley Sinclair did well to cut inside from the right wing and her powerful shot was inches wide.

The best chance to open the scoring fell to the home side. Rachel Donaldson skipped past Terri Donnelly, but as she bared down on goal, she decided to cut the ball back into an empty box and the danger was cleared.

Rangers started the second half brightly and Jenna Clark was causing problems bombing up and down the left wing. Clark created a great chance as she drove into the box and was one-on-one with the ‘keeper. In a scene that was eerily similar to Donaldson’s chance in the first half, Clark squared the ball when the shot was probably the better option.

Jordyn Elliott was in the right place at the right time to keep the game level as she pulled of a point blank save. The ball took a deflection from a free kick and looped up in the air before falling at the feet of Stirling’s Jennifer Godfrey. From only a couple of yards out it looked like Godfrey was about to put her side in front, but she was denied by a great save from Elliott.

Davidson passed up on a great chance to open the scoring with only 10 minutes remaining. Adams played Davidson through on goal but she mis-hit her shot and the ball went harmlessly wide.

As it looked like the game was going to finish goalless, Stirling opened the scoring. Rangers failed to deal with a long ball which allowed Nicole Pullar to run through on goal and finish beyond Elliot. Rangers’ heads never went down, however, and from a Muir corner Rangers equalised with almost the last kick of the ball.

Logan came out and got two fists to Muir’s delivery. However, it only went as far Davidson who lobbed the ball over Logan’s head and into the back of the net. In a tight, game probably neither side would have been happy with the draw which probably indicates it was a fair result in the end.

Next up for Rangers they head to New Douglas Park next Sunday to take on Hamilton Academical in the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

Report: David Marshall
Rangers FC

Picture: Helen Templeton