Robb relives glory as cup holders Dryburgh Athletic drive back to the final

Championship and League One Cup holders Dryburgh Athletic are through to the final once more, after a Megan Robb double and second half goal from Alma Codegoni saw off Glasgow side Rossvale in the semi-final in Airdrie.

With the ball moving quick from the off, it was Rossvale who looked brighter in the opening exchanges, with the sides trading possession in the midfield.

After four minutes, forward Joss Fletcher beat the last defender to find herself through on goal but put it just left of the post, a chance Rossvale would perhaps look back on as the opportunity which could have created some momentum.

At the other end, Rossvale keeper Rachel Docherty was alive to the threat from balls over the top for Codegoni and Chelsey Lownie to run onto.

But after 14 minutes, Dryburgh utilised the same counter attacking speed which had won them last year’s final, Megan Robb latching onto to an inch-perfect through ball from new signing Hannah Innes and made no mistake, taking her time to place a shot beyond Docherty.

Rossvale grafted their way into the box a number of times, but the Dryburgh backline led by an assured Sophie Aitken successfully crowded out first Fiona Cullie then Melissa Porter.

It was another quick counter-attack that gave Megan Robb the chance for her second, making no mistake after a solo run on the left to fire home on the 40-minute mark.

Rossvale dug in to win back initiative, and there was a scare for the Dundee side as Robb collapsed to the turf after a challenge late in the half but she was deemed OK to continue for now.

Rossvale started brightly in the second half, winning two free kicks from out on the right in quick succession, but again their forwards could not find room amongst the Dryburgh back line to get a touch on the deliveries.

Then another break by Dryburgh at the other end saw Rossvale concede a corner that they failed to deal with, leaving Alma Codegoni to slide in at the near post for Dryburgh’s third amid the maelstrom.

Rossvale responded by bringing on Rachel Ashe, Elise Weiringa and Louise McJacobs to see whether they might get more joy against the Dryburgh back line.

But as the game wore on the frustration from the Glasgow side showed. McJacobs received a talking to from the ref for an elbow in the back of Zoe Moreland, and Megan Robb was brought down with a clumsy tackle right in front of the dugouts on the 80-minute mark.

This was just after Robb had produced some trickery on the edge of the box on the hunt for her hat-trick, but it was not to be as she was unable to continue and required medical attention.

Neither side found much rhythm in the closing stages, Derrian Gollan breaking into the Rossvale box without managing to carve out a chance, and Lauren McCulloch in the Rossvale midfield cutting a frustrated figure as she tried to get the ball down and play.

Dryburgh now have another final to look forward to, with the Championship and League One Cup culminating in a showdown in Alloa on 11 December, and will be hoping their cup specialist Megan Robb recovers.

More News

Our Official Partners