#SWPL2: Evans Double Sinks Swifts…


Swifts welcomed a Glasgow side who were looking to get back on top after last week’s defeat to Hearts. Swifts were looking to continue a good recent run but ultimately defeated by strong opponents despite a fighting show from their young side who played with 10 players for 55mins.

Glasgow started the game on the front foot and were enjoying the lion’s share of possession, and this pressure yielded five corners. Swifts however were defending bravely especially the young central pairing of Irvine and Cowie.

Fox was looking dangerous on the break and Fraser showing up well on her full debut as Swifts looked to make their mark. Cochran saved well on the half hour mark but the game had now settled and was a very close affair, well contested with both teams cancelling each other.

The match however was to turn on 35mins when Cochran was beaten to the ball at the edge of the box and was red carded for bringing the attacker down. Fox was sacraficed for McIlravey and the Swifts battled well to stay in the game and almost sneaked the lead when a McGinley throw was headed onto the bar. They were however dealt a hammer blow when just on half-time when Evans was strong and got in behind Cowie and showed good composure to beat McIlravey.

HT Jeanfield Swifts 0 Glasgow Girls 1

Swifts will have been disappointed to lose the lead so close to half-time after a brave first half especially having gone down to 10. However the visitors had performed well and will have felt the goal was just reward for their efforts.

Swifts were looking to settle the match in the second half but were dealt an immediate blow when Evans capitalised on hesitation from Irvine and doubled the lead.

Swifts were now up against it and were faced with a challenge.

Pleasingly for coach McCrindle they responded well with a display of real determination.

The visitors were happy to retain possession and stretch the Swifts and Evans was denied a hat-trick by the post and then the same post denied them again as they looked to increase the lead.

The game continued to flow towards the Swifts end but there was no further score. There was a wonderful moment for the club when 14-year-old Rachel Wolecki replaced Scobbie and joined her mum Donna Shaw on the pitch. The youngster marked the occasion by showing some very nice touches.

The game ended on a sour note when McIntyre was taken ill after a ball to the face, and needed considerable medical assistance after the match. The club would like express our thanks Glasgow Doctor Alice MacLeod for the help she gave Eilidh, and for the messages of concern from the Glasgow coaching staff.

After the match a concerned McCrindle was asked for his thoughts on the match. “I’m not angry or down at the loss, I’m pretty much the opposite. I’m so proud of the players.

They had to play for 55mins with 10 players after the GK gets sent off. We had to take off a striker, played 4-3-2 and it looked like 0-0 at HT then we lost a goal in injury time.

I said at half time that we would continue in the same manner and fight to get back in the game by being brave and taking risks.

We had nothing to lose and although the goal after the break killed us we continued to work so hard and made a few half chances. It was a day that just wasn’t to be but it won’t affect us too much and we are already looking forward to next week.

Reported by Jeanfield Swifts FC
Picture: Jeanfield Swifts FC