#SWPL1: Spartans 3-1 Rangers…


Rangers Ladies are still without a win in the league after suffering a 3-1 defeat away to Spartans in a game where the full-time result would have been a lot different had the Blue Belles capitalised on the chances they created.

Two early goals from Spartans gave Rangers a mountain to climb from the get go but the deficit was halved before half time. Despite several chances that Rangers created they struggled to score an equaliser and Spartans went on to grab goal late in the second half to complete the scoring.

Spartans started the stronger of the two sides and Rangers were caught off guard as Colette Cavanagh opened the scoring after just two minutes. It was a superb strike from outside the box that left Jordyn Elliot no chance in the Rangers goal.

Zoe Johnstone doubled Spartans’ lead after 15 minutes after a period in which Rangers struggled to get into the game. Ronaigh Douglas showed quick feet, skipping past her marker and sliding the ball across the box for Johnstone to cooly slot Spartans’ second past Elliot.

Rangers halved Spartans’ lead in the 33rd minute with a delightful free kick from Amy Muir who curled the ball around the wall and into the bottom corner from 25 yards out.

Getting a goal back seemed to spur Rangers on as they began to control much of the possession and created several chances. Rangers’ best chance of the half fell to Hannah Robertson who found herself one on one but Harrison pulled off a great save to keep the score-line at 2-1 going into half time.

The visitors started the second half strongly and continued to put the pressure on the home side. Robertson saw her shot parried and Sarah Robertson came close to an equaliser after putting a rebounded Lisa Swanson shot over the bar.

Hannah Robertson again found herself one on one with the keeper after being played through by Adams but couldn’t keep the bouncing ball down and ended up putting it high and wide.

Rangers created several more chances as they pushed on for an equalising goal with some dangerous balls into the box from Robertson and Muir that came to nothing.

Carla Boyce rounded off the scoring in the 79th minute. Elliot makes a spectacular save from a corner but Boyce pokes the ball into the net after a goal-line scramble.

Despite conceding a third goal, Rangers pushed on and Hannah Robertson was played through one on one for the third time in the match but Elliot got down to make the save. The ball was kept alive and found its way to Adams who had a long range effort tipped over the bar.

It just wasn’t to be for Rangers who now have to turn their attention to next Sunday’s game at home against Aberdeen which is a must win as the Blue Belles will be looking to get their first win of the season and some points on the board.

Reported by Adam Ouakli

Picture: Rangers FC