#SSESWCup: Thistle Weir v Hibernian


Hibernian secured their place in the Quarter Final of the SSE Scottish Women’s Cup after a 7-0 victory over Thistle Weir away from home in the competition’s 2nd Round.

Report: Hibernian FC Image: Lorraine Hill


Two first half goals from Amy Gallacher and Shannon McGregor gave the double cup holders a cushion at the break. Abi Harrison (2), Jamie-Lee Napier, Cailin Michie (pictured) and Emma Brownlie added to the scoreline to give Hibernian the victory.

The Main Talking Points

Despite the scoreline, the game was fairly quiet with the goals representing the most exciting spells of the game as they came in quick succession.

On the side’s return to action following the international break, it took the Hibees 18 minutes to open the scoring through Gallacher. Hibernian won a free-kick on the left side of Thistle Weir’s box and it looked as if Lisa Robertson was going to deliver. However, the midfielder spotted the run of Hibs’ No. 15 Gallacher as she slid the ball into the forward’s path who made no mistake from 10-yards out, giving Hibernian the lead.

Two minutes later and it was 2-0 Hibernian. The visitors broke up the park after Siobhan Hunter and Ellis Notley combined to steal the ball from Thistle Weir’s striker. McGregor found herself racing through on goal, one-on-one with the goalkeeper, as the midfielder slotted the ball into the back of the net.

Despite pressure from Hibs throughout the remainder of the half, Thistle Weir defended well and the referee brought the first 45 to an end with the score still at 2-0. But this wasn’t to last for long as Hibernian scored a further four goals in the opening 10 minutes of the second half.

It started with Harrison in the opening exchanges as Michie slid the ball through to the striker on the edge of the box for Hibernian’s No. 21 to finish at the near post and give the visitors the perfect start.

And on 49 minutes Harrison had doubled her tally with a great finish. A Michie switch from left to right landed at the feet of Rachel McLauchlan who gave the ball to Robertson. Hibs’ captain in the absence of Joelle Murray then found Harrison 20-yards from goal who unleashed a low but powerful shot into the bottom corner.

Hibs scored another goal soon after, this time through Napier. Patient build up play from the team in green ‘n’ white gave Robertson space in the centre of park for the midfielder to chip into the box. Napier angled her run across the ‘keeper’s path and nodded beyond to put Hibernian 5-0 up.

A fantastic solo effort from Michie gave the Hibees six on 54 minutes. The defender drove up the left hand side, cut inside, drifted past her marker and fired a shot from outside the box over the ‘keeper to score her first goal of the season.

The Hibernian blitzkrieg was over as the holders scored four goals in the space of 10 minutes to take the game beyond Thistle Weir. However, Brownlie still gave the travelling supporters something to look forward to in the final minutes as the defender executed a clever free-kick from just outside the area. Expecting an effort over the wall, the Thistle Weir blockade jumped but Bronwlie rolled the ball underneath and into the bottom corner.

The referee brough the SSE Scottish Women’s Cup 2nd Round tie to an end with Hibernian running away with a 7-0 victory.

What it means?

Hibernian started their defence of the cup with a convincing win in what was a potentially tricky tie away from home. The holders will now go into the quarter final draw as they look to secure the trophy for a third year running.

Player of the Match

Hibernian’s Cailin Michie was awarded the Player of the Match award after scoring, assisting and providing an extra attacking option from defence throughout.

Thoughts from the Camp

Hibernian Head Grant Scott was pleased with the performance his side put in, saying, “First and foremost, we’re delighted to be in the draw for the next round. It was a challenge for the players today. With Thistle Weir playing very defensively it was hard to break them down. Credit to Thistle, I thought they were very disciplined in their shape and closed off lots of gaps.

“In the second half, the players showed a better intensity to their play and got the reward they deserved with some quick goals and a more convincing half of football. It was pleasing to see a mixture of goal scorers too.”

POTM winner Cailin Michie also gave her thoughts on the game: “Our most successful phases of the game were when we switched the ball quickly from side to side because Thistle Weir were doing well to shut off the centre of the pitch.

“I enjoyed getting forward a lot in the game thanks to the movement of Amy and Jamie-Lee in front of me and this opened up the space for me to get shots away and score my goal too.

“We are pleased to come away with a positive performance after the international break and are looking forward to both the league and Scottish Cup games to come.”

What’s next?

Hibernian are right back into action with a home tie against Forfar Farmington in the Scottish Building Society SWPL on Wednesday night at Ainslie Park. Follow @HibsLadies on Twitter to stay updated with team news, highlights and more.