Hibs reclaim SSE Scottish Women’s Cup with dominant display


Footage via BBC Alba and photo by Lorraine Hill.

Hibernian made it another double cup winning season after victory over Glasgow City in the SSE Scottish Women’s Cup. It was an impressive result and display from the reigning champions, especially considering they were defeated 3-0 in the league by City only two weeks ago. This game was the total opposite, with Hibs in relative control throughout the match and especially after going a goal to the good.

The match started slowly with neither team really creating any opportunities to excite the 1348 crowd in attendance. With glory on the line for both teams, nerves were perhaps a part of this. As well, given Glasgow City’s fine defensive form and Hibernian the slight underdogs, both teams seemed set to not lose a goal early on.

It took until 35 minutes to get the first real opportunity. A corner for Hibernian was struck towards the front post, forcing Lee Alexander to make a save and push the ball away from goal. It was only as far as Rachel Small, who played the ball back across goal and found Lisa Robertson. Her shot was tame though, allowing enough time for Alexander to get back into position and make the save.

Glasgow City had a slight edge in the early proceedings but it was Hibernian who were coming closest to getting the opening goal. A free-kick from the left was flicked towards the net by Abi Harrison, only for Alexander to make a diving save and deny her.

It looked as if the game would remain goalless at the break but Hibs got a huge goal for the momentum of the game. A corner in was well met by the rising Siobhan Hunter who headed goalwards. Her effort was stopped by a collection of bodies and with the ball loose, she reacted quickest to prod the ball home on the line.

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first. Neither side dominated the proceedings with little chances coming and going.

With an hour played, Hibs again went closest to adding to their tally. Katey Turner down the right-hand side drove into the box and lashed her shot towards goal. It was a well-hit shot with plenty of power but it was off target, flying wide of the near post.

With the game still in the balance, Hibernian sealed the victory with 82 minutes played. Hunter lined up a free-kick from 35-yards and smashed it into the net. It was a marvellous free-kick, worthy of winning any game.

As Glasgow City pushed to find a goal and a way back into the match, Hibernian kept creating chances themselves. The killer blow for City coming with a minute left of normal time. Rachel Small this time adding to the scoresheet from a free header.

The result means that Hibs have now won the last four major cup finals but are still yet to break Glasgow City’s hold on the league. Their historic 11 in a row meant they claimed the only available Champions League spot but today’s result certainly makes next season even more exciting to predict.