#SBSSWPL: Aberdeen v Rangers…


A 91st minute goal rescued a point for Rangers Ladies against Aberdeen on Sunday but they would have been disappointed not to come away from the northeast with all three.

Aberdeen took the lead into the break after Hannah Stewart opened the scoring for the hosts but Rangers rallied in the second half and Lauren Davidson got the Bluebelles back on level terms.

Despite mountains of pressure, an Aberdeen goal from Johan Fraser with seven minutes left looked to have secured an unlikely win for the Dons. However, Rangers kept up the pressure and Rachael O’Neill scored a minute into added-on time to make it 2-2.

The first half was a tight affair but Rangers had the best of the early chances. Clever play saw Amy Muir get into the box and cut the ball back for Claire Adams but the midfielder snapped at the opportunity and the ball went soaring over the bar.

Conditions at Heathryfold Park were tough with Rangers having to play the first half with a strong North Sea wind against them and Aberdeen took advantage of that as they opened the scoring 10 minutes before the break. Stewart got on the end of a long ball and did well to round Jordyn Elliot and finish into the empty net.

Rangers could consider themselves unlucky to be behind at the break and they came out in the second half determined to set things right.

The visitors had the majority of the possession after the interval and it was no surprise when Davidson levelled the game. A long free kick from O’Neill was parried out by the Aberdeen goalkeeper and Davidson was there to capitalise on the loose ball.

From there Rangers went looking for the goal to put them ahead and they passed up on a plethora of chances. Clare Gemmell came inches from curling in a free kick and Aberdeen nearly put the ball into their own net as a defensive header rattled the bar and bounced on the line before going clear.

Chelsie Watson was then denied by a superb point blank save and Rangers would rue their missed chances.

As the game entered it’s final stages the Light Blues were still pushing for the winner but a rare Aberdeen breakaway saw Fraser go through clear on goal and score to put the home side back in front.

Rangers kept the pressure up however as they now tried to earn a draw from a game they looked like winning. O’Neill sent a cross into the box that was caught in the wind and it also caught out the Aberdeen keeper as it ended up in the top corner of the net.

Rangers are back in action next Sunday as Amy McDonald’s side travels to Petershill Park to take on Glasgow City. Kick off is scheduled for 4pm.
Reported & Picture David Marshall
Rangers FC