#SBSSWPL: Rangers v Stirling University


Rangers returned from a two week international break with a convincing victory over Stirling University at New Tinto Park…..

Report: Gregor Hynds and Picture: Rangers FC


Rangers weren’t settled from the off, a clearance from goalkeeper Jordyn Elliot, was almost deflected into her own net but after that early mishap Rangers managed to gain control.

Chantelle Brown pushed the ball wide to Brogan Hay who cut back inside and saw the first real effort of the game blocked. Brown controlled a lot of the early forward momentum causing a few problems for the Stirling defence.

It didn’t take long for the Rangers pressure to pay off, when the returning Sarah Robertson broke the deadlock after quarter of an hour. Hay broke down the wing and delivered a low cross into a crowded box. Robertson’s first attempt was blocked but she expertly slotted the rebound into the top left-hand corner.

In pursuit of the second goal, Rangers had restricted Stirling to long range efforts, no one calling Elliot into action.

Already off the mark for the season, Jade Gallon almost scored against her old team on the half hour mark, the midfielder couldn’t get contact on it at the back post though.

Gallon wasn’t deterred by her near miss however and doubled Rangers lead as half time approached. The ball rolled back after a weak clearance from the Stirling defence and Gallon hammered the ball into the net from 25 yards out.

Elliot was finally tested by one of Stirling’s long range efforts as the second half got underway, but the Gers keeper saw off the danger.

The early stages of the second half where played mostly in the midfield with Jade Gallon, Clare Gemmell and Chantelle Brown all putting in strong performances, stopping any momentum building for the Stirling attack.

Chances became very rare as the second half progressed, Stirling struggling to get past the Rangers midfield while the Stirling defence had tightened, and it would take a mistimed pass for Rangers to add their third.

Sarah Robertson pounced on Stirling’s defensive error, latching on the ball at the halfway line and firing up the park. As she found herself one-on-on with Chloe Logan in the Stirling goal, Robertson unleashed a composed finish, slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

As the final whistle approached, Rangers got a deserved fourth with the last play of the game. Gemmell’s inswinging corner was met by the head of Jade Gallon, taking the midfielder to two on the day and three for the season.

Overall it was a dominating display from the Light Blues, four goals and a clean sheet to take the three points and leapfrog them above Stirling University into fourth in the league.

Next week it’s a trip to bottom side Hamilton Academical with Rangers looking to carry that momentum into the next game.