#SBSSWPL: Rangers v Hibernian…


Rangers Ladies suffered defeat in their final home game of the season against Hibernian at New Tinto Park. The Bluebelles fell to a 4-1 defeat despite Chantelle Brown’s second half goal.

Three goals in the first half from Hibs left Rangers with a mountain to climb. Gers rallied in the second half and Brown scored to make things interesting again. Hibs would finish the game with nine players after having two players sent off late on but they would score with the last kick of the ball to ensure Rangers fell to a 4-1 defeat.

Rangers came close to taking an early lead after long, mazy run from Rachael O’Neill. A cut back from O’Neill set up Lauren Davidson to take a shot from the edge of the box. Davidson composed herself and got a good shot away but it went just narrowly past the post.

Hibs took the lead after 11 minutes. A long ball got the better of O’Neill and allowed Kirsty Smith to cut into the box. From an angle, Smith sent a low, powerful shot past Jordyn Elliott and into the net. The cross bar then came to Rangers’ rescue twice as Hibs looked to double their lead. Abi Harrison tried to chip Elliott but her shot hit the post and was eventually cleared. A delightful ball in by Rachel McLauchlan was met by the head of Lisa Robertson but her effort could only rattle the bar.

The visitors would add to their lead before the first half ended. A low cross from Smith was fired into the top corner by Rachael Small to double Hibs’ lead. Elliott was then judged to have fouled Harrison in the box. Elliott got a strong hand on Siobhan Hunter’s penalty, but the ball squirmed and spun into the opposite corner to make the score 3-0 at the break.

It was a much more solid performance from Rangers in the second period. Brown looked like the host’s best chance of grabbing a goal as she came close twice with efforts from the edge of the box. However, her persistence paid off as she took the ball down from the air on her chest, drove into the box and finished past Jenna Fife.

The game took somewhat of a strange twist as Hibs were then quickly reduced to nine players. Captain Joelle Murray and Robertson were both sent off for second bookable offences. Rangers were enthused by this and kept the pressure up, Holly Napier came close as she had a free kick tipped over the bar. However, a late goal from Harrison squashed the Rangers comeback and ensured the points were going back to Edinburgh,

Rangers will now travel to K-Park in East Kilbride for the final Old Firm clash of the season. Amy McDonald’s side will be looking to make it three wins from three against the old enemy. Kick off is scheduled for 2pm in what will be Rangers’ penultimate game of the SWPL season.

RANGERS: Elliott, Watson, Muir, O’Neill (Clark, 63), Coakley, Gemmell, O’Hara, Sinclair (Robertson, 75), Hay (Rice, 90), Brown, Davidson (Napier, 55).

Subs Not Used: Viollaz, Templeton, Ross

Cautioned: Sinclair 38′ Coakley 74′

Scorer: Brown 78′

Report: David Marshall
Picture: Rangers FC